Downloading and extracting large tarballs usually takes plenty of time. Extracting tarballs during the their transfer reduces the waiting time because you a) don’t need to do wait for the transfer to finishes before starting the extraction and b) the machine doesn’t have to read the tarball from the disk while simultaneously writing to it.
MSDOS MBR Partition Tables make it impossible to use Partitions larger than 2 TiB. This is a pitfall you maybe will be faced with after expension of a RAID array. The only solution is to convert the MBR Partition Table to GPT (GUID Partition Table).
If you start Solr with the default configuration, there will be only one instance running. That’s enough if you have only one website which you want to index but if you have several websites, you probably don’t want them to share an index as you then would get search results from both websites.
Luckily Solr already brings the so called multicore feature with it. It allows you to run multiple instances that use different configuration sets and indexes.
This little howto will show you how to install / configure Solr to make use of the multicore feature.
If you use a combination of Redmine.pm, Apache and SVN and are wondering about error messages telling you "COPY of ‘foobar’ : Could not read status line: connection was closed by server" or "COPY of ‘foobar’ : Could not read status line: secure connection truncated" you probably will want to switch to apache2-mpm-prefork to get rid of them.
A combination of Redmine.pm, apache2-mpm-worker and Redmine.pm doesn’t seem to be stable at all.
How to create encrypted loopback images with dm-crypt and LUKS + automatically mounting them after login with pam_mount
I recommend using debian squeeze for this scenario as lenny includes a very old version of libpam-mount and I had lots of problems when I tried using it.
Using only the libpam-mount package and its dependencies from squeeze maybe (I didn’t try it and I wouldn’t recommend it either) does the job too, but at least has a very bitter after taste if you take a closer look at the dependencies.
When I was trying to automatically mount an encrypted image at login using pam_mount, I encountered a strange problem:
I wasn’t able to find any errors in my configuration (at least none connected to this behaviour), but mount.crypt was unable to mount the image.